Aunt Bee's Kerosene Cucumbers...


I apologize for the horribleness of this clip.  But I didn't want to post the entire episode and this person could at least spell "pickle" when they uploaded it onto YouTube.  Start at about the 1 minute point in this clip.  If you want to watch the full episode (for those of you who don't know about The Andy Griffith Show) you can click here to see it!  This episode literally has me cackling for days and I always have to eat pickles when I'm watching it.

I love pickles (but not bread and butter pickles or sweet pickles -- YUCK)!  And I have been waiting to make some homemade pickles since February when I just had to get out and purchase the supplies for homemade pickles during a snowstorm (see that post here).  Don't ask me why, I have no explanation!  Cabin Fever or stupidity...take your pick.

After our long road trip, I had to make a run to the store, so I picked up some small cucumbers while there.  I was determined to get these pickles made since I've had all of the "fixin's" since February.

Now here's what you need to know.  I have never made homemade pickles in my life -- EVER!  But I figured with a few cucumbers, Aunt Bee's Kerosene Cucumber Recipe Mrs. Wages Pickle Mix and some canning jars, how difficult could it be??!!  At this point, I suppose I should refer you to the numerous failed craft projects that I have blogged about.  This project will be a hit or miss and you might have to wait another week or more to find out if the pickles were a flop or not (even though the package says 2 days).  Actually, so do I.  We can sweat it out together!

Anywho, back to the story.  I wanted to get the pickles made.  The first thing to know and remember is that before pickling or canning or baking anything in mason jars, they must be sterilized.


I usually boil my jars and lids 15-20 minutes.  I gently removed them from the pot and turned them upside down on a CLEAN dish towel to drain until I'm ready to use them.  NOTE:  Do not touch the jars if they fall over...they are hot!  Guess who did this when one fell over??!! 

While the jars were boiling and draining, I thoroughly washed the cucumbers.  You can leave them whole if your jars are large enough or slice and dice anyway you please.  I used half pint jars so I needed to slice mine a few times.


No, the cucumbers are not sweating in fear wondering what will happen to them, they are freshly washed!  Sheesh, have a little faith people!  ;-)

While the jars and lids were boiling and draining, I also started preparing the pickle mix.  Follow the directions on the package.  It was pretty simple...water, vinegar and the pickle mix.  Except, don't do like I did and spill the mix all over the counter when you open the package.  I will never get the smell of pickle juice out of the kitchen.  And the hubster hates pickles!

Load your jar of choice with your sliced or whole pickles, pour the pickle mix over them leaving about a 1/2 inch space at the top and seal those lids.  As the lids cool, you will hear a "ping" sound.  If you don't, after about 30 minutes, you can press down on the bubble in the middle of the lid.  If it stays, they are sealed.  If not, give it a few more minutes and try again.  If it won't stay down, I don't know what you did wrong.  Remember, this is my first time....we are learning together.


So there's how you make my Aunt Bee's Kerosene Cucumbers, except hopefully they will be pretty tasty!



I will keep you posted.  (start at about 1:39 mark on this clip)

Also, if you have not ever seen this episode of The Andy Griffith Show, you really should watch it. This episode and the Haunted House episode are my favorites!







30 comments

  1. Lol, choking on my coffee again !! I grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show :)) Sound's like you did everything right with your cuke's, I like mine whole and put fresh dill in. Girl, you need to quit burning your hand's, your a professional photographer !!
    Too bad the husband doesn't like dill pickle's, more for you. Lol Keep us updated on your Aunt Bee's Kerosene Cucumber's when you pop a top !! Hug's,TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny! Yes, we grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show and we still watch it. I think I know most of the episodes by heart...lol. If I had larger jars, I would have left them whole and would have probably tweaked the recipe a bit if I had known what I was doing...LOL. Next time, I will know what to do and how to change it up. Yes, definitely more for me!! LOL. The pickles turned out great. The package said they would be ready in 2 days and they were. I ate an entire jar..LOL Hugs!

      Delete
  2. I remember Andy Griffith...watching it on our little black and white tv in the kitchen. I have never canned anything in my life!! I wouldn't even know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first try and I made sure I started simple. This will probably be the only thing I ever try because some other vegetables require a pressure cooker and I can see that mess all over my kitchen….green beans hanging from the ceiling and tomatoes stuck to the walls! :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh Wow, thank you for the giggles this morning, Benita! I remember the Haunted House episode, I've never seen this one, *kerosene* lol! I'm with you, I can't stand sweet pickles, make mine, dill, crunchy and zesty! Thankfully my husband loves both, (maybe a little more than me)! Looks like you did, it right! I know they'll come out delicious...they're homemade right...*wink*!!
    hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....Yes, and anything homemade has to be better than store bought??!! NOT...LOL. This is truly one of the best episodes ever...LOL The pickles did turn out well. The package said they were ready in 2 days, so I ate an entire jar! But I still have 7 left to go! Good thing I made those 8 quarts...LOL ;-) Hugs!!!

      Delete
  4. Too funny! Who is going to eat all the pickles if your husband hates them??!! I have never made pickles and thought they were too hard and involved but the way you are doing it sounds too easy. Would love to hear how it all came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first try ever AnnMarie and they were so easy! I have always been intimidated, but not anymore. I will try some kosher ones once these are gone. They turned out great – the package said they would be ready in 2 days. I opened a jar that didn’t “ping” and ate the entire jar…LOL. They are small…LOL. I also pickled some bell peppers and have a post later this week about those. If you like pickles you should give it a try…it really was a simple process.

      Delete
  5. I remember making pickles from about everything - cucumbers, peaches, watermelon rinds - with my grandparents. It was enough pickle-making to last me the rest of my days. If you don't hear the ping, there is a word for what will happen - botulism :>)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ botulism...that is hilarious....and true! I made sure I ate the jar that didn't ping first...to avoid any illness in my future! :-) And the reason you don't pickle anything is the reason I don't eat pasta and peas...LOL

      Delete
  6. LOL - I Iove what Donna had to say. She is right, you have to here the ping :-)
    I can beans, peaches, salsa, jams and jellies...I was scared at first too. Once you get going it is not bad at all. The best thing is you know you have GOOD food and you know where it came from!!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Carla....I told Donna that is why I ate the entire jar that didn't ping...didn't want to take any chances...LOL.

      This was my first time out and I was intimidated, but since it was easy, I may decide to venture out...I just want want to do anything that involves a pressure cooker...LOL. It will look like a nuclear waste site...LOL. I've heard horror stories about those things! :-)

      Delete
  7. I remember how funny this episode was too. They gave jars away at people passing through! lol I know yours will be delicious! Perfect for summer meals! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it was hilarious! We still laugh even after seeing it 45 times over the years! They did turn out well and I was glad that they did. I didn't want to have to dump it all in the trash...LOL Hugs!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Benita......I love Andy Griffith Show and have watched all of them numerous times. Thank you for reminding me of this episode. I have canned tons of vegetables but have never made pickles. My mother makes all kinds of pickles and pickled beets, which I love. I guess it is about time I make some pickles. Thanks for the laughs this morning. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too and still watch reruns when we can...LOL. The pickles were super easy...don't know if I will be brave enough for other veggies. Thank you and you are welcome! :-) Laughter is a great thing! Hope you have one as well!

      Delete
  9. Pickles are GREAT and pretty easy to make even without the kerosene ;>)
    If you put a couple of grape leaves in the jar, it will keep the cukes crunchy!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to know! I will have to do that the next time around! Since this was my first batch, I had no idea what I was doing. :-) Hope you are having a great week! Hugs!!

      Delete
  10. Well, I've been wanting to learn how to can for a long time, but I was chicken. You may have just boosted me into doing it finally :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn’t get any easier than this honey! If you can boil water, you too can make these pickles! :-))) Hugs!!

      Delete
  11. I love reading your tales - and might even pickle some of my home-grown cukes - Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, thank you so much! They are easy to do and home-grown cucumbers make them even better!! Thank you for being a great hostess! Have a great evening!

      Delete
  12. Classic! One of the best show ever. Gave me a good laugh Benita! I use to make pickles all the time, but haven't for years. I still bottle a few things, but didn't even get cucs planted this year. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still watch this show regularly! It just makes my day…especially the episodes that involve “Barney Parney Poo”…LOL. Thank you for hosting Jann and I’m so glad you had a wonderful time with the girls today! Hugs!!

      Delete
  13. OMG too hilarious! I have watched every episode of AG many times, and the kerosene pickles is a classic! Thanks so much for the fun!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, we have also. I can tell you which episode it is within the first few seconds...how sad is that??!! LOL My other favs are the haunted house and the one we call "Horatio", but the true title is "Opie's Charity". Thanks so much and have a great 4th!!

      Delete
  14. My husband is a rabid AG fan! It is so funny and we love pickles! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting! We love this episode and many others…we know them by heart…LOL. Have wonderful weekend and a great 4th!

      Delete
  15. this is such a fun and delicious post. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and thank you for hosting each week!

      Delete

Please leave a comment! I do love hearing from you and enjoy visiting your blogs. I will respond via email or by replying to your comment here on my blog! Have a wonderful day!